This contempt is shown in the prorogations of the recent past; the attacks upon the independence of civil servants; the evasion shown in question period in Parliament when the Government ministers simply sidestep legitimate questions posed by opposition MPs; and the unwillingness of the Prime Minister to strike an independent judicial inquiry into the many accusations of voter suppression tactics during our May 2011 election.
We deserve a better government than this.
The Cullen Plan:
And the only realistic way to achieve a change of government in the next election is for the opposition parties to enter into an electoral ceasefire.
Of all the candidates for leadership of the NDP, Nathan Cullen is the one with the most realistic proposal for a change of government in 2015.
The Cullen Plan is for electoral cooperation between ridings under which the NDP and LPC riding associations decide whether to run a single candidate to oppose the Tory MP rather than spit the opposition vote. If enough ridings do this (and we only need a dozen or so to prevent another Harper majority), then we will have a new government to replace the Harper one.
Liberal and NDP support for The Cullen Plan:
Should the NDP choose Cullen as their next leader, then there is a strong chance that he will become the next Prime Minister, heading a coalition government, and sending Stephen Harper back to the opposition bench (and probably into retirement).
The lates poll by Forum Research shows that an electoral ceasefire is supported by a large percentage of supporter of the LPC and NDP.
But Mr. Cullen, who has been alone in trumpeting a proposal to co-operate with the Liberals and the Greens in the next election, appears to be gaining some momentum in the final weeks of the campaign.
He says he would offer to hold joint nomination meetings with the other two parties and the winner alone, regardless of their stripe, would run in the election. It is a plan that has been roundly attacked by the other leadership contenders.
But a new poll by Forum Research Inc. suggests that a majority of Canadians who support parties on the centre and the left of the political spectrum believe the idea has merit. Six out of 10 respondents who identified themselves as supporters of either the NDP or the Liberals said they liked the idea of joint-nomination meetings. Conservative supporters were strongly opposed.
Younger voters were significantly more likely to back the concept than older voters, the poll suggests.
Liberals contemplating choosing the next leader of the Liberal Party in 2013 should consider that last statement: younger voters back electoral cooperation.
If the Liberal Party should choose a leader who also wants to proceed with electoral cooperation, then a new centre-left progressive government will definitely happen in the next election.
Younger Voters versus Older Voters:
These are the Forum results by age group:
These are the Forum results by age group:
It was also found that younger voters were significantly more likely to back this idea (50% 18‐34, 49% 35‐44, 39% 45‐54, 39% 55‐64, 34% 65+), as were those living in the province of Quebec (58%; compared to 43% Atlantic, 40% Ontario, 30% Manitoba / Saskatchewan, 21% Alberta).
Gender support for electoral cooperation:
More women support such electoral cooperation than oppose it: 45% for, 38% against and 17% unsure.
For men, the percentages are 41% for, 48% against and 11% unsure.
It seems that on this score, women are politically more realistic, and have a deeper wish to turf out this regressive government and replace it with a new one more representative of the 60% of voters in the last few elections.
Tory support for electoral cooperation by LPC and NDP:
Somewhat surprisingly, although 71% of Tory supporters oppose this idea (for obvious reasons), 17% are in favour of the LPC and NDP getting their act together before the next election, while 13% are unsure on this issue. That makes 30% for the idea or unsure about the idea – almost one in three!
Opposition to the idea is strongest in the Tory homeland of Alberta and Manitoba/Saskatchewan.
The Cat's Conclusions:
My conclusions are:
- Canada is better served if Nathan Cullen is elected leader of the NDP.
- More young people will participate in politics, and vote, if Cullen wins the leadership.
- There will definitely be a change of government in the next election if Cullen becomes the next NDP leader.
- The probabilities are very high that if Cullen leads the NDP come March 24, then he will become the next prime minister of Canada.
- The next best choices for Canada as leader of the NDP are (in order, based on their appreciation of the realities of what a divided opposition is doing to keep Harper in power): Nash, Topp and Mulcair.