Thursday, October 11, 2012

Why Justin Trudeau is running for leader of the Liberal Party of Canada

Justin Trudeau & hard work
Very interesting article in Macleans – an interview with Justin Trudeau:

“Can I actually make a difference? Can I get people to believe in politics once again? Can I get people to accept more complex answers to complex questions? I know I can. I know that’s what I do very well. Why am I doing this? Because I can, not because I want to. Because I must.” His voice drops to a whisper on the final word. The bells at the church across the road from the café where we’re sitting in his Montreal riding are tolling the noon hour. It’s all gotten a bit dramatic. He catches himself and laughs. “I wish there was a simple, easy answer, but there’s a lot of factors. I guess it comes down to that I love this country, and I think I can do better than what we are currently getting from our politicians.”


Interesting article.
LBJ running hard

In Robert A. Caro’s The Years of Lyndon Johnson: The Means of Ascent, Caro writes of LBJ’s work ethic in his early career:

If a single credo had guided his career, it was a belief that, as he was constantly telling his assistants, “If you do everything, you will win.”

When LBJ first became a congressman, he insisted on reading and signing every letter to a constituent.

Trudeau seems to have a similar work ethic, as the Macleans’ article describes:

“You sent me a card for my birthday. You were the only one,” says one man. “You’ve got my support.” (Trudeau explains he sends such greetings to everyone in the riding, all of them handwritten.) When he first stood for election here as a rookie candidate in 2008 against a popular Bloc Québécois incumbent, few gave him a chance. The family name was better suited to monied turf like nearby Outremont, or the anglo bastion of Mont Royal—his father’s former stomping grounds—went the theory. But Trudeau campaigned like hell and pulled off a 1,200-vote upset. Then in 2011 he did it again, pushing his margin of victory to more than 4,300 ballots in a general election that saw Liberal support in Quebec—and the rest of the country—fall to a historic low.

Heaven knows there is a lot of work to do to revitalize the Liberal Party.

Justin Trudeau, if he wins the leadership, will have his hands full.

Right now the most likely foe to defeat him would be one who favoured pre-election electoral cooperation in order to ensure Harper’s loss of power, and who could harness the power of progressives to sign up as Supporters and vote for the candidate who stood for this.

4 comments :

  1. Glenn, I read your link to David M. leadership bid and found it interesting, but particularly interesting that the NDP has already a policy plank on electoral reform.
    As you are well aware, the NDP under Jack Layton actually ran on that in the last election, and spoke of it during the debates.
    That election plank won't change under Mulcair. It is supported by party policy, so I found the "silence" on that information to your "linked post" interesting. Like you, I want electoral reform with some form of PP, so that everybody vote counts.
    And as you well know, I don't find Liberal govts particularly progressive, just look at the present Liberal govts in BC and ON. In Ontario, we have McGuinty ripping up labour contracts, and removing workers' charter rights. Harper would be proud! Have a good day Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jan, the Cullen Plan calls for pre-election voting ceasefire ala Professor Byers, as a means of ensuring a change in government in 2015.

    Trudeau seems to have come out against that - although he only spoke about no merger between the NDP and LPC - while Mulcair has said no to the Cullen Plan idea.

    I am hoping the progressive organizations support any candidate for Liberal leadership by encouraging tens and tens of thousands of progressives who want to remove Harper and then move on some much needed electoral reform under a new government, to sign up as Supporters and vote in the Liberal Party leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin in my opinion is a typical academic with little practical experience
    Now if you could convince Mark Carnie to run I would vote for him.
    He is in touch with reality and is educated in fiscal policies. Maybe he is too conserative !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Carnie runs - make the election more interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting; come again! Let us reason together ...

Random posts from my blog - please refresh page for more: